Thursday, July 23, 2026

NERDS WHO DEFY EXPECTATIONS

 
Rich here. I've always secretly harbored the hopes that as geeky as I might seem, when people get to know me, they'll discover that I am far cooler and hipper than appearances suggest.
 
Sigh. Another hope dashed!
 
Which leads me to one of my favorite artists of the '90s and early 2000's, the seemingly nerdy and quirky alt-pop singer/songwriter Jill Sobule, whose little girl voice a few may remember from her 1995 underground cult-hit, "I Kissed A Girl" (which is not the Katy Perry song of the same name) or her ironic song "Supermodel" which was featured in the movie "Clueless." 
 
Before her untimely death last year, Jill wrote and sang bright, catchy songs that belied their subject matter -- the unexpected people and events that were "Underdog Victorious," as one of her songs was titled.  
 
In one of my favorite of her songs, "Karen By Night," Jill describes her conservative boss at the shoe store, who isn't all that she's perceived to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment