Tuesday, July 27, 2021

THE PURPLE DOT EXPERIENCE - "Songs Based On The Poetry Of Pamela Mary Stone" (1994)


"The Purple Dot Experience" was a various artists tape compilation put together by K.D. Schmitz in 1994, and the songs were all based on poems written by a young lady named Pamela Mary Stone.
 
 
I contributed two songs to this tape, and I almost wish I hadn't because my tunes kind of stink up the whole project. In fact I distinctly remember K.D. telling me that he played this tape for his whole family, and when my first song came on, his Mother asked if the stereo was broken. I think that about says it all.

We were given a few of Mary's poems to choose from, and the titles were "The Purple Dot," "Love," "Trees," "Books," and "Reading." The artistes involved were varied and included Chris Ballew of "The Presidents Of The United States," and one song by the late Dave Fuglewicz. Unfortunately Dave just passed away a couple of weeks ago on July 15, 2021, and if you'd like to help out his family with all the medical expenses that he incurred, Chris Phinney has set up a Go Fund Me page where you can do that!

Here are two songs from this cassette that in my humble opinion are the best of the bunch, one from each side of the tape. The first one is by Jeff Olson of the fantastic band "Screamin Popeyes," and the second one is by Edward Schmitz who I think is K.D.'s brother!

No comments:

Post a Comment