Rich here. Have you ever given thought to the niche-topic of "What Song Includes the Best Scream in Rock History?" If you google the topic, you'll find all kinds of discussions and lists on the subject. Unsurprisingly, many names keep appear repeatedly in the lists for a variety of songs featuring their screams, including Ian Gillan (Deep Purple), Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin), Roger Daltrey (The Who), Paul McCartney (The Beatles), Kurt Cobain (Nirvana). Various lists also include songs by other great screamers such as Steven Tyler (Aerosmith), Janis Joplin, Merry Clayton (backing vocals on "Gimme Shelter"), Brad Delp (Boston), James Hetfield (Metallica), and on and on.


Slayer - Angel Of Death comin in at 16 seconds. Is it a guitar, is it a siren, no it is Tom Araya delivering what is for me the best scream.
ReplyDeleteI'm with you, Roger Daltrey in Won't Get Fooled Again has to be my all-time favorite. - Robert, aka Retro Hound.
ReplyDeleteI didn't mention that a friend of mine would always go with something from Stryper.
ReplyDeleteHey, thanks for the comments Robert. Haven't heard from you in a long time!
ReplyDeleteThanks to you too Richard!
ReplyDeleteI had thought you quit blogging, but I went to your old blog and ran across this one. I seem to remember you started this one, but I never got it into my RSS reader.
ReplyDeleteDid quit the movie blog, this one is a lot less work, and I'm able to have fun with it with the help of my newest partner in crime, Rich Arithmetic instead of Tabonga who hopefully is busy making art.
DeleteWas definitely going to add #1 and was happy to see her placed in that position. Enjoying these doses of musical insights by Rich!
ReplyDeleteFrom Rich: Thanks for your feedback, Robert & Richard and "Anonymous" (whom I think is Dennis). I love seeing other people's choices.
ReplyDeleteRoger Daltrey - Won't Get Fooled Again. I haven't spent any time thinking about the best, but this is what instantly came to mind when I saw the question. If it was so vivid in my mind, it must be the best.
ReplyDelete